Thursday, September 29, 2011

Where to Begin

Photobucket

I've been warned it's time to start packing
time to begin sifting through all my
accumulations
the years full of memories I've been saving
thinking they are pieces of my life
I can't abandon
perhaps afraid to let them go
in case the day comes when I can't remember.

I guess we've lived in one place for too long
never had to do this before
but soon it will be forty years full
of our lives in this house
let alone the years before, that tagged along.
I don't know where to begin,
but Reality keeps knocking on my door
and it's time to let her in.

When I was young, I thought about my death
too often . . . such fear of my annihilation!
Now that I have aged and ripened
watching my own body, my beauty
slip slowly through the keyhole
into the room of my acceptance,
I am no longer afraid
since there is less and less to lose.

Enough said about the inevitable!
I am still alive and full of spirit and I must
get on with this task of sifting out, giving away
making my circumference smaller
consolidating those belongings I need only
to survive and keep a happy disposition
while I wait with my Darling
for that golden coin to flip and settle . . .
who'll be sailing first to Never Never Land!

Joanne Cucinello © 2011

2 comments:

  1. They're only things. That's what I told myself two and a half years ago. And in two and a half Weeks I had sold, given away, donated, packed and stored my belongings. Now I have a storage unit 3,000 miles away with belongings I haven't seen in so long I have only a hazy idea of what is still there. It's going to take another trip back and some ruthless weeding to resolve this issue. I Can't hardly wait. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody,
    Isn't it weird . . . all these "things" we can't live without? and then, like you described in your own experience . . . once they're gone and packed away you can hardly remember what they were!
    Thanks so much for sharing. It took you two and a half weeks, but it'll probably take me two and a half years!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to visit my Poetry Blog. . . Hope you enjoy!

Business Directory for Port Jefferson, NY

Business Directory for Port Jefferson, NY
created at TagCrowd.com