Monday, September 5, 2016

Marathon

 photo b8a91f00-5124-4f8f-810c-4892daa72da2_zpsqccom6ce.jpg

My life will always be an unfinished story ~ a song with no refrain.
I’m a sprinter in the race, tiring before the finish line
always giving birth to something new . . . and fickle as the wind.

I’m like the Bag Lady, pushing her cart down the street
only mine is full of paper scraps ~ poems and fairytales, unfinished
memoirs and writings I’ve promised to publish . . . someday.

I’ve always found a way to excuse myself from writing a novel.
It takes too long ~ my life has too many distractions ~ I don’t live alone!
I’ve probably started at least fifteen novels, some of which turned into short
stories, most of which became my . . . poems.

But then, here’s the non-fiction part of my life, and there’s no Bag Lady to be found.
It’s Motherhood, and I couldn’t find a pushcart big enough to hold five kids!
Giving birth was the easy part.  Labor, with all its pain and fear of death
was a piece of cake compared to raising these “bright ideas” and realizing what’s true.
You can’t sprint through life when it comes to mothering a child . . . since you’ve
already signed on for a Marathon!


Joanne Cucinello © 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to visit my Poetry Blog. . . Hope you enjoy!

Business Directory for Port Jefferson, NY

Business Directory for Port Jefferson, NY
created at TagCrowd.com